8.03.2010

Intolerance:

Today I decided to check my email, and discovered a few viral emails sent to me.

They're compiled like any set of lame office emails, full of pictures of kittens wearing leather jackets, babies being posed to aid in their future humiliation, and anti-democrat sentiment, which I must say, is getting to be my least favorite of the recurring themes.

I get that I live in the most rouge of "red" states, and I respect that political out-numbering, but the fact of the matter is, those who send anti-illegal immigrant cartoons to propel a growing distaste are no better than those which they argue with.

The borders need to be controlled, absolutely, but where are the Canadians in these cartoons, or the British? If we're going to call for a protection of borders, we need to talk about it from ALL sides. I was pretty offended today when every cartoon featured a dark skinned Mexican man with a serapi, pulling a donkey. Or, a family with dirty clothes, and a new baby clinging to the body of the mother, who's pregnant with the next child. It makes me wonder if any of the people who get in to these types of emails have any personal knowledge of the Hispanic culture.


Bottom line, be upset at the lack of attention from our government on this issue, but don't take your frustrations out on a group of people who are just desperate to find a better way. I've been to Mexico from the northern most border to the southern most, and I can honestly say I do not blame a singe man, woman, or child for taking advantage of what we have to offer here. Don't waste your precious money on oil pastels and paper to draw somewhat racist comics, take that time to write your government and ask them to use our taxpayer money to properly secure our borders.

For all of us who claim to be part of God's true church, and claim to be doing God's work on earth, we're not living it and we're not showing it when we pass along these hurtful "jokes". We can't send our missionaries off to these countries and build temples in these lands if, on the side, we're sending each other these types emails. What does that say about our character? Do as I say, not as I do?

I am proud to be a 3rd generation American with a strong knowledge of my cultural make-up. I am 1/2 Polish and 1/2 Spaniard, with family who resides in Mexico (Monterrey, MX to be exact). I believe in the fairness of my country, and know that in time, we will find a way to process ALL people who come to our country with the utmost respect and dignity. And, those who are committing a crime on our land, that crime being illegal residence, shall be subject to the punishment which fits the crime, deportation. This does not entail public defamation.

As a side note, "joking" about the customs and cultural differences of a country can be hurtful. Those who live in a cultural bubble have no real idea just how racist they may come across. Don't make the mistake of thinking your personal humor in such matters is found funny by others. I can personally say I do not find it endearing or welcomed.

1 comment:

  1. Point taken. But how do I cartoon a Canadian?

    -scott

    ReplyDelete